Claiming the top speed ranking is a tough ask, considering the sheer volume of worthy
VPN competitors. And verifying that position is even more of a challenge, as speeds
differ depending on the time, day, location, underlying internet speeds, activity, and
various other factors. Nevertheless, NordVPN consistently outperforms rivals on both
local and international servers, making it a premium choice for smooth streaming,
seamless gaming, and speedy torrenting.
Even accessing servers in far-flung destinations results in
minimal lag, meaning US citizens connecting to Australian servers can still enjoy
impressive speeds. While having 60 countries fall short of, say, ExpressVPN’s 90+
offering, NordVPN boasts a decent scattering of locations, with at least one server in
Africa, which many companies fail to provide. Plus, a fleet of over 5,000 servers
ensures that customers are likely to find one nearby that is less congested.
NordVPN also performs admirably in reliability. In fact, it
remains one of the most consistent options for not only achieving high speeds but
maintaining them too.
Can Customers Trust NordVPN?
High speed and ease of use are essential factors
in determining the worth of a VPN. But in the end, it all comes down to privacy and
security. That’s the primary reason for using a VPN, to remain undetected and protected
when conducting online activities. And with a recent blemish, customers may be wondering
if NordVPN can still keep them safe. Let’s take a look at the product’s security
- 1. Encryption: Top level, industry standard AES-256 encryption
- 2. Protocols: IKEv2/IPSec, OpenVPN.
- 3. NordLynx: Released in 2020, NordVPN’s
newest technology is built around the WireGuard protocol.
- 4. It consists of just 4,000
lines of code, which makes it much easier to audit and debug.
- 5. Aside from added security benefits, the NordLynx protocol runs significantly
- 6. Leak blocking: DNS and IP leak blocking ensure private information is kept
securely inside the VPN tunnel
- 7. Threat protection: Blocks ads and trackers, prevents viruses, and identifies
- 8. Advanced security measures: Kill Switch; automatic removal from the internet
if the VPN connection suddenly drops
- 9. Split tunneling: decide which apps require VPN protection and which can do
- 10. Double protection: two IP changes for double encryption Onion over VPN; added
anonymity through the Tor browser
In addition to the above, NordVPN has further cemented its
commitment to security by partnering with consulting firm VerSprite, creating a
bug-hunting program, and operating diskless RAM servers. Protecting privacy is also at
the forefront of the company, and as expected, NordVPN adopts a strict no-logs policy.
This means the company will never monitor, store or share any private data.